Can a Parent Prevent Their Child From Visiting the Other Parent?:- Family Mediation Choice Buckingham

June 27, 2022

After a divorce or separation, many parents wish to prohibit their child's contact with the other parent. Sometimes these emotions are brief as a result of a parent's late arrival for contact or a disagreement. In certain situations, one parent may consider that contact with the other parent is detrimental to the child's welfare. In this article,  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham's law specialist examines whether a parent can prevent a kid from visiting the other parent during parental separation or divorce.

Family and child law attorneys

For legal assistance and information regarding preventing a kid from seeing the other parent and contact orders, please contact Family Mediation Choice Buckingham at 03300 100 309 or fill out our online enquiry form.

Severing contact between parent and kid

Before terminating contact between your kid and the other parent, you should get legal counsel if you are considering doing so.

If there is a current child arrangements order, you may be in violation of the court order if you discontinue contact without first petitioning the court to modify the order.

Even if there is no child arrangement order in effect, it is always advisable to seek legal counsel on your alternatives. This is due to the fact that if you discontinue contact, your ex-spouse may petition the courts for a parental responsibility order, and based on the present degree of contact and the reasons you wish to discontinue it, they may end up with more access to your kid.

Should you restrict a child's contact with the other parent?

There are situations in which the youngster should avoid touch. For instance, if users dread abduction and that your child will be taken out of the UK without your consent, or if you are concerned that the other parent is unable to care for the  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham during contact and lacks insight into their mental health issues or extended family support to make contact safe for your child, you may be eligible for supervised contact.

However, there are situations in which it is not necessary in your child's best interests to end contact, even if doing so would greatly simplify your life since you would no longer have to communicate with your ex-spouse about contact arrangements.

There are several instances in which a parent may wish to prevent a kid from having contact with the other parent, including:

  • The other parent has not paid child support or maintenance for the spouse.
  • The other parent has a new partner, and you are angered or saddened by this development.
  • You believe that the other parent is attempting to exert control over you through the communication they have with you on childrearing, which causes you a great deal of stress and inconvenience.
  • You are concerned that your ex-partner would be aggressive towards you at pick-up or return.
  • The other parent is consistently tardy when collecting or returning the child.
  • The kid does not complete any homework while with the other parent, and always returns from contact weekends exhausted, making it difficult for them to return to their schedule and focus on their schoolwork.
  • Because the other parent does not adhere to the same parenting practises as you, you are viewed as the disciplinarian and a bore.
  • The child returns from contact having heard negative things about you from the other parent.
  • The youngster claims that interaction with the other parent is monotonous and that they would rather spend time with their pals.
  • The youngster dislikes the new spouse and  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham of the other parent.

All of the above are genuine issues that require legal guidance and discussion with an expert in  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham's law, but they should not always result in the termination of all contact between your kid and the other parent.

What happens if I prevent my child from communicating with the other parent?

If you cut off communication between your kid and the other parent, the other parent may:

  • File a petition with the court to enforce an existing child custody decree.
  • Make a court application for a child arrangement order.
  • Continue to see the child, such as by picking him or her up from school.
  • Refrain from touch and withdraw - the child may not desire this, and as a result, may be angry and hurt with you.

In addition, the kid may have an idealized view of the other parent since he or she no longer has contact with that parent. For example, the child may forget that the other parent was late picking them up or did nothing but watch television during the contact visit.

It might be helpful to discuss the expected outcome of the other parent's application for a child arrangement order or your application for a  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham order, such as a banned steps order. It is vital to understand the strategy the family court will use to stopping contact and how they will assess what the judge believes is in the best interests of your kid.

A lawyer specializing in child law might also offer other choices, such as:

  • Family Mediation Choice Buckingham to assist you in communicating your worries regarding contact with your ex-partner.
  • Protective orders, such as injunctions against domestic violence, if your ex-partner is pestering you, or you fear child abduction.
  • Round table discussion with attorneys specializing in  Family Mediation Choice Buckingham's law to address your issues and seek a settlement. For instance, agreeing to a parenting plan with consistent parenting practises for the kid, or consenting to supervised contact with your ex-spouse during a period of mental illness.
  • Family therapy in which an older kid may communicate how they feel about physical touch.

Therefore, despite the temptation to cut off communication between your child and the other parent, it is usually preferable to pause and examine the ramifications of the decision before doing an action.

Family and child law attorneys

For professional legal advice on preventing a child from seeing the other parent and applying for or opposing an application for a child arrangement order.

Call Family Mediation Choice Buckingham on 03300 100 309.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram